I am Madhawa, a Graduate Student in the School of Computing Science at Simon Fraser University. My research work is on Computer Vision and Graphics, joined to Human Centric Visual Computing Lab and GrUVi Lab of Simon Fraser University. I am supervised by Prof. Manolis Savva and Prof. Yasutaka Furukawa.
I started my M. Sc. in Computing Science at Simon Fraser University in September 2019. Previously, I obtained my bachelors from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa, graduating with a First Class degree having ranked 2nd in a batch of 123 students. Later, I joined the Machine Learning and Data Science Team of CodeGen International, following my interest in Machine Learning and Computer Vision.
Awards, Grants and Competitions
- SFU Computing Science Graduate Fellowship - Fall 2019
- Best Paper Award Finalist (Top 3): 30th International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering (CAINE 2017), California, U.S.A.
- Microsoft Imagine Cup 2017: National Level Runners Up (Sri Lanka): For product TravelSphere, a VR based mobile app made for travel enthusiasts.
- Microsoft Imagine Cup 2016 - Word Citizenship Category: National Level Runners Up (Sri Lanka): For developing a Virtual Reality based solution for Phobia treatments.
- Google Summer of Code 2017 - Certificate of Completion: for project ‘PySiddhi’ with WSO2.
- IEEE Xtreme Programming Competition:
- Year 2017: Global Rank 160 and Country Rank 7
- Year 2016: Global Rank 197 and Country Rank 8
- Year 2015: Global Rank 162 and Country Rank 10
- Year 2014: Global Rank 146 and Country Rank 10
- University of Moratuwa - IBM Engineering Scholarship for the undergraduate student with highest semester GPA: Semesters 3 and 4.
- University of Moratuwa: Department of CSE award for the undergraduate student with highest semester GPA: Semesters 2 and 3.
- University of Moratuwa: Virtusa award for the student with highest marks for Software Engineering semester project.
- UNDP Sri Lanka & Dialog Axiata - HackADev Impact Uva 2015: First Place - A Technology Innovation Hackathon where we pitched an Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality mobile application developed to promote tourism.
- Yarl IT Hub - Yarl Geek Challenge 2015: First Place - A Technology Innovation Hackathon where we pitched a computer vision based smart digital signage platform for targeted promotions.
- Institute of Engineers Sri Lanka - YMS Hackathon 2015: Runners Up - Developed a prototype ride-hailing system.
- SEARCC - International Schools’ Software Competition (2011): Second Place - A regional programming competition organized by South East Asian Regional Computer Confederation.
- Ministry of Education (Sri Lanka) - National Schools’ Software Competition (2011): First Place - An all-island programming competition for school students.
Accelerated Human Pose Estimation
- Optical-Flow based frame-rate enhancement for arbitrary 2D human pose estimators in a time-delayed real-time fashion. Introduces a pose tracking solution as a by-product.
- Extensive testing on the OpenPose human pose estimator. A reduction in error of 30–35% at practical frame rates. Improvements of up to 50\% in resource constrained environments.
On-field testing of the real-time system, processing front office surveillance video of a banking environment.
Augur 360 - Camera based consumer analytics for front offices
- Seat occupancy monitoring, queue length monitoring, arrival/departure detection, and service time monitoring. Individual level analytics via tracking and face recognition.
- Tailored for the surveillance camera input from the front office environment of a banking sector client.
Real-time and time-bound analytics using multiple CCTV camera inputs.
LIVE-SENSE - Real-time Human Analytics using Multiple Camera Feeds
January 2017 - December 2017 | Undergraduate Research Project - University of Moratuwa
- Generates floor mapped analytics on movements of people in an environment monitored by a surveillance camera network.
- World space analytics via Homography. Improved accuracy if multi-view cues are available.
Aggregated and individual level analytics via re-identification and tracking.
April 2018 - Present | Self initiated hobbyist project
A Python wrapper on vanila YOLO 3.0 implementation in Darknet.
- A fast light-weight Python wrapper on YOLO 3.0 Object Detector, which the authors have implemented on Darknet C++ Machine Learning Library
- This project has 450+ stars and 150+ forks on GitHub.
Supports rapid conversion of Numpy Arrays to Darknet compatible formats. (~7% additional overhead on HD resolution).
May 2017 - August 2017 | Google Summer of Code collaborative project with WSO2
Python wrapper on Siddhi Streaming Analytics Java Library.
- Initiated PySiddhi, a Python wrapper on WSO2 Siddhi Streaming Analytics Java Library.
- Interconnection of two platforms using Java Native Interface and Python Native Interface.
This was a collaborative project with WSO2, under the Google Summer of Code 2017 program.
Vidanapathirana, M., Sudasingha, I., Vidanapathirana, J., Kanchana, P. and Perera, I., 2020. Tracking and frame-rate enhancement for real-time 2D human pose estimation. The Visual Computer 36 (2020): 1501 - 1519. [Link, Pre-print]
Vidanapathirana, M., Meegahapola, L.B. and Perera, I.,2017. Cognitive Analysis of 360 degree Surround Photos. in 2017 Future Technologies Conference (FTC). [Link]
Vidanapathirana, M., Sudasingha, I., Kanchana, P., Vidanapathirana, J. and Perera, I., 2017. Open Set Person Re-Identification Framework on Closed Set Re-Id Systems. in 2017 IEEE International Conference on Signal and Image Processing (ICSIP). [Link, Pre-print]
Vidanapathirana, M., Meegahapola, L.B. and Perera, I.,2017. Optimizing Cognitive Analysis Sensitivity of Photospheres using Cube Maps. in 2017 IEEE International Conference on Signal and Image Processing (ICSIP). [Link, Pre-print]
Meegahapola, L.B., Vidanapathirana, M. and Perera, I., 2017. Intelligent Digital Signage Platform for Targeted Advertising. in 30th International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering (CAINE 2017). [Pre-print]
Vidanapathirana, M., Sudasingha, I., Kanchana, P., Vidanapathirana, J. and Perera, I., 2017. Real-time Pedestrian Mapping from Camera View to World Space. in 2017 IEEE 12th International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS). [Link, Pre-print]
Balance IT - Space
2012 - 2013 | 1000+ downloads on Google Play
What started as a pet project to learn Android, OpenGL and Accelerometer sensors ended up as a Android Game published in the Google Play store. I learned a lot by this project such as:
- Dealing with lags introduced by intermittent Java GC calls. (Solution was to use Global variables and manual GC calls.)
- Google Analytics and behaviour of PlayStore (It reached 1000+ downloads back in 2014).
Fragment shaders, vertex shaders and OpenGL ES 2.0.